Monday, June 20, 2011

Slight steam let off

Its nothing horrible and not that I'll get nasty about but I need to let it out here because I didn't really want to have it out with my friend, Meg.

So I went over to my neighbor's house since Sean and Meg were visiting the inlaws for Father's Day. My family was invited over for cake but it was late when we ate and my parents were tired...so I was the ambassador because I wanted cake, which was tasty. Anywho, we're sitting at the table when their inlaws ask how Sam is. I say he's doing good. Meg says they miss him to which I come with a quick reply that I miss him too. She looks at me like what are you talking about. I explain he only had one day off this past week and he's been sick so I only saw him once before he was off to work and I didn't get to cuddle with him as normal because he didn't want me catching what he had. Not to mention he works all night and sleeps most the day. So there isn't too much face time between us. She says that he sounds just like Ryan, her brother-in-law who just got married this May.

Now I kept my mouth shut and just agreed at the time, but the comparison she was making between the two just isn't the same. Ryan does spend a lot of time traveling along the South Eastern region, but he inspects restaurants and food chains helping them pass health inspections and getting their facilities to operate more efficiently. This is by no doubts a very important jobs and I do feel for his newly wed wife who may not get to spend time with him as often as she likes but his time at work is so much different than Sam's time.

Their clientele are on different ends of the spectrum. I'm sure Ryan doesn't spend his days, or nights actually chasing after people who are running from him, he doesn't have to hop over chain link fences. He doesn't have to carry around 13 lb (I'm guesstimating) gun belt, bullet resistant vest, heavy work boots. He doesn't have an awkward time getting in and out of his car because of belt or lower back problems by the end of the work day. He doesn't have to be on constant alert, and he can probably switch off his "work brain" at will. He isn't spit at, physically assaulted, and shown disrespect. He isn't called names like racist pig and a Nazi. He doesn't have to do searches of abandoned houses and drug holes. He doesn't have to see dead bodies of people from gang violence or drug overdoses. He doesn't get puked on, peed on or have people poop in the backseat of his car. Beat up by old ladies (that's a funny and true story!). He doesn't have to worry if he'll have to shoot someone. He doesn't have to worry about injury to himself, his coworkers, the bystanders and even the suspect. He doesn't have to worry about the harsh reality of his line of work. ...Sam does. And most of this can happen in one night.

Sorry, I just needed to get this out and off my chest. I feel better now that I got it out in the air. I really didn't want to come off snappy at Meg. They're lucky they only get to hear the funny stories like him getting attacked by the old lady. But I get to hear the icky ones like dead bodies and people pooping in his car or him getting relieved on.

I wish he would work in a nice safe office somewhere, tucked away with a desk where he doesn't have to worry about all of the above. I loved when he was on light duty last year. But would I want him to trade in his badge for business attire and a 9-5? Not a chance in the world. I wouldn't want to be anything other than a cop. He'd get too stir crazy and I don't know if I could handle that again. *smiles*

I'm better now, work was off to a bad start when some idiot didn't know how to drive right but I got a free root beer from Dan (soda machine gave him two) and free Snapple from a promo truck outside the stadium...even though they weren't supposed to be there.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You forgot to mention the awesome salary that comes with being a police office! And all those stellar community individuals who are so nice to officers!

SCW Stella said...

People just don't get it. Think of them as that---people who just don't get it---and I swear you'll feel better.
:) SCW Stella