Thursday, June 9, 2011

Hero of the week

Finally after weeks of hearing/seeing negative stories in the news involving officers and departments, Officer Fazio of the Port St. Lucie Police Department (Florida) swoops in to save the day. This especially after Sleeping St. Lucie Deputy Disciplined For Arriving Late For Security Detail. Here's Officer's Fazio's story: Police Officer Saves Baby From Choking.

Now I just want to take a slight aside to "bash" on the Deputy and the detail. I just think her actions of the whole ordeal is just ridiculous. I think she may have tried to call out only a few hours before she was supposed to go on duty. I don't think she should have called out without first securring another off-dutty officer to cover the detail.
..she said, "I genuinely didn't feel like working. I'm known for canceling details. People back up my details all the time for that reason."
I don't know if all officers in a department are required to take details, but why else would she sign up for it? I commented on the article...not too negatively, but I said that I know Sam would more likely call off one twelve hour regular duty night than a six hour detail. He makes $28.50 I think an hour for a detail...that's almost $12 more than he would make driving around the hood. To me that doesn't make much sense especially when he spends most detail hours sitting in the ER bored to death....Sorry for the mini rant. It just frustrates me that she didn't cover herself in an appropriate and professional manner.

Back to Officer Fazio...not only is a hero once but twice. His first gold-star moment occured back in January when he resusitated a baby after it was found in the pool. More stories like these need to be highlighted in our news and to the public. We need a better image portrayed on our officers. We need more Fazios and so forth. Great job Officer Fazio!

No comments: