Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My shoulder

First of all, today is our 1year anniversary. We've survived! *smiles* Secondly, I have had a crazy night and I'm so thankful to have him at this point in my life.

Around 3:30 this afternoon, I've finished setting up the Blu ray and Netflix on the TV for my parents, and I'm going to start getting ready for work when my dad asks about movie times for Green Lantern and Transformers 3. I find the times and they ask if I want to go, but because of work I said I may not be able to go but not to wait for me. So I'm at work and get a call that they are headed to the movies and that dinner will be in the fridge for me. I say okay and got out of work at 7:45 and got home after 8.

I let myself in and my dog is at the front rug eating something. I think she's gotten something and immediately tell her to drop it. She confused and does so when I hear my mom's voice saying that she had given it to her. I look again and see it is in fact just a dog treat. My poor dog looks upset because she knows she didn't do anything wrong. I give her the treat back and ask if they already got back from the movies. I knew the movie hadn't ended because they had only called after 7 and both movies are well over an hour and a half long.

My mom just gives me this look from the kitchen and tells me to come over and she'll tell me. She says that dad is okay but that he's walking home from the mall. What?? It's like 8:30 at night, dark, it's raining steadily, and the mall is 8.5 miles from our house and my dad is walking? What happened?

She says they were taking my grandpa back to his assisted living home, and he moves slow, pretty normal for a 90 year old man with Dementia. Anyways they were off to a slow start, but they weren't running late by any means. Plus the movie start time is usually when previews start and then you still have at least a 5 to 10 minute leeway. Now my dad doesn't like to get somewhere late. If he even thinks there is the slightest chance he's running behind schedule, he will drive a little faster than usual. On occasion it has made me and my mom uncomfortable but he has never done so to the degree my mom described. He was driving fast, made a wide turn into the mall and cut someone off and was driving fast. My mom voiced her concern which only prompted him to go faster because his frustration was rising. My mom again said to slow down and then opened her passenger door like she was threatening to exit the car. All while my dad is speeding through the parking lot.

I'm still hazy about everything that happened, but my dad said he was going to leave the keys in the car and just walk home. My mom called and talked to her sister and then went after my dad. He was stubborn and didn't respond to her and continued walking home so she left him. And that's where I came in the door and she told me all this. She then said that I could go look for him if I wanted. If I wanted? Of course I was going to go and try to pick him up. So I drove and eventually found him but he was continuing to be stubborn, refused the ride and kept going.

I sat in the parking lot for a little bit, not really sure what to before deciding to call Sam. I called him and after two rings in I thought about hanging up when he answered saying he was on a call but what's up. I felt obligated to speak but he was busy with work, I told him that I would talk to him later and to deal with work. I guess he could tell something was wrong because of the emotion in my voice and said no, to tell him what was wrong...so I told him just about everything I've written above. He even asked if there was anything he could do for me. I would have liked to have told him to drive down and pick up my dad, but I told him that I would be okay and for him to get back to work.

My dad did make it home okay after 10p and just went straight to bed. I hope everything is okay between my parents...

No comments: