Saturday, April 23, 2011

9/11

The 10th anniversary is coming up in just about 142 days. I know my self, I'm always looking for a new project to work on. Sam's patch project is just about done, just one more frame and I'll always be on the look out for a few of the older department patches. I just purchased (a horrible habit now that I know my way around ebay) a 9-11 memorial patch of Sirius K9 of the New York Port Authority. Apparently, he was the only police K9 to have lost his life during the World Trade Center Ordeal. This site here: K9 Monuments showcases memorials and statues to service animals. Sirius has a plaque that was erected in 2002. This got me thinking on my next big patch project: collect various 9-11 memorial and department related patches and of course get them framed. I'm not sure on the whole look of it and if I'll include anniversary patches, which apparently as I'm finding out there has been one released for every year past that date...so 10 in all. I'd like to include patches of all the departments that were lost in the WTC, Pennsylvania and Pentagon attacks inclusive of police, fire, and other government officials.

I'm still scrolling through the K9 Monument/Memorial site and I'm just amazed at the number of monuments that have been erected all over the world to service dogs.

Not sure when I'll have this all done, it'll probably take a few years at best with just collecting the different patches. I think I'll stick to it being a 10year showcase. I started researching which companies of the fire department were involved, so I'm going and cataloging all 347 firefighters to find which engine/ladder/battalion/squad/rescue company they were with and then going on ebay and a few other sites to find their department patch. I'll be doing the same for the police department and port authority and any other department I can find within that research.

Sorry if any of this sounds repetitive, kind of typing out the thoughts as it comes to me. I'm trying to catch myself if it has been said already.

I'm thinking of contacting the WTC memorial to see if they can help as a last resort with anything and kind of explain what I'm doing and if they would be so kind to help. Not sure if I'll end up donating the finished product...but if the memorial museum does help, I would like to send them something as a thank you, possibly a little side framed patch project that they could put int he museum if they can do that sort of thing. I'll be keeping an update of everything I'll be doing.

No comments: