Monday, April 25, 2011

21 Guns

Talking with Jim at work the other day and I'm not sure how we ended up on the topic of guns. I remember saying that Sam wanted me to have a gun. He wants me to be safe and everything like that, but I'm not sure if I would like having a gun. If I did, it would be kept at his house because I'm pretty sure my mom wouldn't let me in the house. She's not a fan of the idea. I'm pretty happy too with the baseball bat or my khukri sword I keep by the side of my bed anyways. But Jim was a little surprised that Sam wants me to have a gun. He said if you have a gun you have to be ready to kill someone if you were in the position to defend yourself. Not to wound, but to kill. There is a whole psychology behind it he started to talk about and he didn't know how cops could do it. And that you don't become a police officer in order to kill someone.

He also knew an officer down in Miami, where he lived for a good part of his life, who was on the force for I want to say over 20 years...any ways it was a long time. And in all that time, this officer never once had to draw his gun on duty. I thought that was pretty impressive and Jim reminded me that that was Miami before it became this place ridden with crime. Even still, very impressive. I know Sam has been in situations where he has pulled his weapon  in his career already but didn't discharge.

Guns, while they have always been a hot topic, are making news well in the news. There have been 30 officer related deaths this year already (31 if you include K9 Ike). But there have also been fatalities involving civilians including this horrible story of a toddler that shot and killed his mother. While it was accidental its still horrible to come across this. I'm not sure how this child who is 2years old was able to access the gun, his father's who has a concealed weapon permit. Who knows if we will ever know.

I think guns are being severely misused and their use glorified by TV, games and gang-related ideologies. Not only that, it would seem they are more accessible to the public than ever whether by legal or illegal means. In light of the outbreaks of campus shootings, earlier this year Texas is considering allowing concealed weapons on university campuses. I understand that they are looking to put protocols in place that would deter just anyone from carrying weapons but I still don't know if this decision is best. I know that weapons are discussed in just about every campus nationwide, this is an excerpt from my Alma mater catalog:
The possession or use of firearms, fireworks of any description, explosive devices, or any weapon is restricted on college property or at any college-sponsored function.Fireworks/explosives are dangerous and are prohibited under Florida law. They may not be brought on campus under any circumstances. Violators of this regulation will be subject to suspension or expulsion...
I'm sure that even if you were a citizen with a concealed weapon permit you still wouldn't be able to posses the weapon on campus. You'd only be able to have the weapon if living off campus. The only way anyone would be able to carry is if they were law enforcement, we did have a few officers that would attend class...but not on duty, though they did have some night courses that I think the officers did attend while on duty, but I'm not sure.

I am hoping that I'll be able to get to the firing range with Sam before this year is through. He's been trying to get me out there since we started dated last year, but every time he and his family were going I was busy with work and its a whole day thing according to him. One of these days I'll go. I want to go and shoot, he thinks I don't because of all the chances I've had to go with him. However, it has made my mom happy that I haven't gone. Like I said before, she's pretty much against it.

No comments: