Monday, May 23, 2011

The saga continues

Saturday morning around 6:30A I woke up to take the pups out in the yard. Everything was going good until two dogs come around the fence from the other backyard. A light tan dog mixed, maybe male with a scar over his right eye and a black female pit. They approached the puppies and me, not aggressively and I was surprised the puppies didn't bark at them. The tan dog sniffed and left the yard, the black dog stayed around very happy to be in the presence of puppies. I was able to drag the puppies back in the house with no incident. Got in and found Sam was up, he had just come out of the bathroom. He wasn't happy when I told him about the dogs especially since I mentioned one was a pit. Said he would shoot them if they ever came back in the yard. To which I gave him the evil eye and he croaked out that he would call Animal Control first but if they attacked then he would. Later when we were taking out the pups we found a poop too large to be from his puppies. That didn't make him happy.

To add to his annoyance as I'm getting ready to leave for work around 1:30P he peers out the front window. He rattles off a few curse words and asks if those are tire treads in his lawn. I look out the window and confirm they are in fact tire tracks. Going outside we see they lead from his neighbors yard and across his, but we didn't know if they were fresh. Just that we hadn't noticed them before. He suspected they had gone through the yard before but the treads were closer to the road and on the other side of sidewalk so its technically city property so he couldn't do anything. These treads are higher up in the yard close to the house and front door area. (please excuse my crude paint drawn diagram which aren't to scale, just wanted to give you an idea of what I was talking about)

I refer to these neighbors as the Japanese Whaling Fleet, coined after Sam and I had been watching Whale Wars. They're an Asian family, I'm certain their Japanese since they work at a Japanese steakhouse that opened up a few blocks away a few months or so ago. They're a strange family. In their driveway at any given time there can be at the least 6 cars, and they're either all there together or gone at the family business. The street Sam and they live on is for the most part a busy main street so switching cars around in the driveway isn't the easiest maneuver to execute. On busy days it can take upwards of 5 minutes to pull out, so I can't imagine having to switch in and out.

So we're pretty sure it's them but we haven't caught them in the act yet. I think it's a pretty bold move by them considering Sam's cruiser sits in that driveway for most of the day. I would hate to be them when they get caught in the act. So he talked about putting nails in the yard in an attempt to deter them. I don't think it's the best way to confront the issue but it would stop them and I wouldn't put it past Sam to do it. I'll have to periodically check the property line for nails. Then I'll just sit in the kitchen with the blinds opened, waiting for them to falter. He should get a camcorder or something to put up and watch for them. But he may not follow through with the nails. He called me up as I got into work saying that he had a good idea: he would move his car from the left side of the driveway to the right side hoping that would let them know he's on to them. (Again, this crude drawing is only representation and not to scale)

No comments: