Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Good Eye, Sniper

I was going to post this up over the weekend but got sidetracked with the previous post on the I-95 accident.
Any ways, I finally did it! Friday, I finally got to go shooting with Sam. I was nervous about it but he's a very good firearms instructor.

I was able to handle a few different guns that his family brought along. Some were easier to fire than others. I wasn't expecting the "kick" that some of them gave. Like his personal firearm. I fired off one round when he asked how I liked it, and I wasn't hesitant to let him know that I didn't like that one at all! He just laughed and said he would finish the bullets left in the clip.

Now I'm not sure if it's allowed and I've been all over the web trying to find some clarification, just short of asking other law enforcement (Sam is no use, he just says it's fine and not to worry about it). The gun I was most comfortable shooting was his duty gun. I was very hesitant it but he assured me it was okay, so I took his word for it. I was under his constant supervision so I'm assuming it was okay.

But I digress. Everyone, including myself was very impressed at how well I did considering it was my first time. I shot a BB gun at cans once on a camping trip way back (elementary school age) and then paintball once for a friend's birthday. Both of which, according to Sam don't count as shooting a gun...which he's right because they aren't the same but hell I did pretty damn good so they have to count for something. I'm even thinking of posting a picture of my target just to show the world "Hey! Don't mess with me" *laughs*

I have to get into some serious shape for the next time. Who knew that shooting a gun can be so physically demanding of the body? Talk about a workout. During the time at the range my arm muscles would get sore and at times it was hard to hold the gun level with the target. The palm of my hand holding and shooting the gun was tender. The next day it only got worse. My entire upper body: hands, arms, shoulders and back were sore and aching. I felt like I had been lifting weights all afternoon! It lasted until about Monday. I just wish I had the mindset to have grabbed a chocolate milk afterwards at the restaurant, that way those sore muscles could have been avoided.

I can't wait to get back there!

No comments: