Sunday, April 1, 2012

Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn't stop for anybody

(quote by Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower)

Big changes are coming for Sam and I. I may have touched on this earlier in the blog but if I haven't, Sam has chosen to leave the force for good. I believe its a choice for the better. The department he works for isn't the fairest, in fact I think he mentioned that over 30 officers have left the department in the two years he's been there and another ten or eleven officers are set to leave this year. I love that he's my officer but I'll be happy when he leaves for good.

He gets treated like shit to put it simply. Overworked, under appreciated and under paid. I just became a full-time employee at my job making $12.50 an hour, so a little under $1000 every two weeks after taxes. My last paycheck with twelve hours over time I came in over $1000. He saw and actually took a picture of my paycheck and sent it to Dan (who just left the department last week) stating that even though I make less than him hourly ($16.90 an hour), at the end of two weeks I in fact make more. I'm currently the breadwinner in the household....which I think upsets him. He shouldn't have to live paycheck to paycheck, which is his current financial situation. We didn't go to the movies this weekend because there is no money in his bank account. My offering to pay doesn't seem to help his position.

I think he's leaning toward nursing. He was talking with a nurse down in the ER when he was there during shift. The nurse said they made $40 an hour. I would like to think a person who has the chance to be shot at every day at work should be making the $40 an hour. He hasn't started applying yet; I think he wants to talk to someone at the community college about classes before hand. Maybe he'll start looking into that soon.

As for me. I've gotten two job offers for the company my company is contracted by. I don't have full details yet, so I'm not about to make my decisions but it seems that both do make more money. Hopefully this week I'll have more of an idea what the positions are and what they entail.

No comments: