Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Sitting on fences

Again. Sam is back on the fence again with work. He's only been with the department two and a half years and I think he's gone back and forth too many times to count. He loves his job. He hates his job. He likes his job and is thinking of making detective. He despises work and can't wait to get out of policing all together. They give him a shotgun and work is okay again.

Now he's talking about transferring to the other city department in our county. Not sure how long he's been juggling the idea but I was informed this morning when he got in after shift. If he transfers, he said it'll be a $10,000 raise with the opportunity for advancement, he'll be dealing with white people, and he could go all shift and not get a call. Probably not the best thing to hear but its better than getting paid next to nothing, dealing with people who live in Section 8 housing areas (I think that's what he refers to it) and constantly getting shot at.

So I guess we'll see what decision he'll make. I'm sure I'll be posting in another week or so about how he's changed plans again. What ever keeps him happy and safe.

1 comment:

TheCopsWife said...

My officer also goes threw the same cycle of love/hate with his job. Hes been copping for 10+ years now and wants to retire at 50. Only 13 years away for him. He talks so much about what else he'd like to do but in the end he knows he was ment to be a cop and I personally cant see him doing anything else. All we can do is nod and smile and whatever they decide in the end support them and give them love.